Back in the water and floating

Shipyard this year has really been easier going than any other year that I’ve seen before. Usually it’s hurry, hurry, rush, rush, but not this time around. I like this controlled approach much better. So far this yard I’ve been spending most of my time working on heating and air conditioning units in guest cabins, with some other little odd jobs thrown in the mix. Yesterday I actually spent the whole day working on a few issues with navigation equipment on the bridge. It’s pretty amazing how one piece of equipment added at a time can add up to a jumbled mess, especially over 30 years!

San Pedro and Long Beach are the biggest shipping port I’ve been to, and it’s been amazing to watch ships come and go, as well as how quickly they can offload those containers. It really is an amazing feat and something most people probably have no idea of how it works. Anyways, it’s made for an interesting few sun sets and sun rises. This one was this morning.

20131128-110230.jpg

Shipyard 2013 is going really good

20131119-153841.jpg

This is a picture of our new anchor cable and chain. That’s a pretty exciting thing to see, since our cable had a really good twist and kink in it from a really gnarly anchorage at Bahia San Ignacio.

So far, so good as far as the rest of shipyard goes. We have new anti-fowling paint on the bottom and a few new air conditioning units in state rooms done, as well as quite a few exciting other little tidbits. The best part about this yard is that the crew is all getting along fairly well and there isn’t a whole lot of stress. This is a good thing! Not typical, but nice.

Back to shipyard

20131117-220311.jpg

San Pedro is the location for our annual haul out this year and it’s actually going pretty good. The weather is nice and the pace is great, so I can’t complain at all. I’ll show some more pictures from the shipyard here in the next few days, but for now you can see where she will be resting for a bit.

22re timing issues solved

After putting a new engine in my 1990 4runner I had a big problem trying to get it to time properly. I couldn’t figure out why the thing wouldn’t go to 5 degrees, no matter how hard I tried.

Some things that didn’t seem like a big deal earlier all of the sudden make sense now, so I like to share them here. To start off I’d like to say that this truck has over 200k miles and this might be about the life of most of the sensors on these engines. When I bought the truck it was burning oil and the check engine light was on, but I figured that the “code 51” it was throwing was due to the oil on the O2 sensor. This turned out to not be the case.

Here’s what I learned. If you put a jumper in to set the timing and the idle does slow down, if you are getting a “code 51”, if you’re idle is rough and inconsistent, if you hear pinging at 3k plus rpm all of these problems are caused by this guy:

20131106-161833.jpg

It’s called the TPS or throttle position sensor. This sensor tells the computer how open the throttle is, so that it can adjust timing and fuel ratios. The throttle cable really only opens the air flap in the throttle body, and that’s it.

What goes wrong is this:

20131106-162134.jpg

As the throttle turns the air flap, it also turns this sensor. What I saw when I pulled this little guy off was that there was a total dead spot on the sensor throughout most of the throw. So then I found some really good info on Roger Brown’s 4crawler website about how to test a TPS and that helped prove that it was toast.

Once I got the replacement TPS, I fired up the truck, put the jumper in, heard it idle down, set the timing to 5 degrees and guess what? It runs like a champ!

If you are having troubles setting your timing, or are seeing code 51, take a look at your TPS, it’s probably the problem!

I’ve been so busy!

20131106-152418.jpg

20131106-152436.jpg

I haven’t had much time to write lately, since I’ve been home it’s been all about fire wood and wrenching. While the fire wood isn’t all too exciting to write about, some of the wrenching I’ve been doing has been good stuff. Lately I’ve gotten to the bottom of my timing issue, had a freshly rebuilt alternator short out in the windings and mess up a bunch of stuff, and I’ve also replace my severely leaking steering box.

I will hopefully have some time here in the near future to write up what I learned, because there’s some things I went through that no one else has written about that I could find, and maybe it’ll make life easier for someone else!